Filed under Campus

Until Sammy Spitz is a Household Name

Spitz preforming Bombtrack by Rage Against The Machine during an MA concert.

Photo by: Henrik Meng

“I actually came up with [a stage name].” Sam Spitz leaned back in his chair with his fist clenched, fiercely trying to remember the name.  “I had a really good one; I was in the library last week and I came up with it.  Oh!”  He shot up promptly.  “Slammin’ Sammy!  ‘Cuz I body every beat.”

Bodacious, young artist who marches to his own beat.  Inexperienced extrovert phasing toward rebellion.  However you put it, one thing is certain: Spitz won’t be held back by anybody’s judgments.  Inspired by the classic rock foundations that his father set for him, Spitz creatively writes to, produces and performs music for the MA community and more.

Spitz is known primarily for his hit single, “The Flame”, in which he cleverly established himself as a unique up-and-coming lyricist willing to overcome any obstacle in order to make it to the top.  Although the SoundCloud track was released over a year ago, its impact on the MA community is still evident, as Spitz claims he continues to hear students covering his verses around campus.

“Honestly, I knew ‘The Flame’ was going to become popular when I released it.  I just knew it was going to be a major slap.”

The most iconic line from Spitz’s renowned debut lays in the first words of the song:  “Two wrongs make a right and three rights make a left/ ‘Bout to flow on this banger ‘til I’m outta breath.”  Spitz’s charisma and unparalleled intellect proved to create the ideal introduction to not only “The Flame”, but also the rap game as a whole.  

“When I thought of that line I was just like sitting in my room, I think it was like 4 PM on a Friday.”  He then closed his eyes and squinted his brow, deep in thought.  “I’m just sitting there like ‘you know that saying ‘two wrongs make a right’?  But in reality you go the wrong way three times by going right, you got a left turn.’” Admittedly, going into this interview I felt slightly worried that Spitz’s linguistic brilliance wouldn’t show as much in person compared to his recorded tracks.  However, after hearing his explanation behind the lyric, I came to the realization that Spitz’s fluid articulation goes beyond written verses.  

“The track that really got it started was Forever (Drake ft. Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Eminem). I’ve listened to that so many times. That was the slap back in fifth grade.”

It is well known that Spitz has superb musical ability, however, many fail to see past Spitz’s intimidating rapping persona.  A stellar academic student, Spitz hopes to attend Yale, MIT, or Rice next year.

“I think I’m going into investment banking or finance.  It’s what my dad does, so it was kind of spun into me.”  In fact, Spitz values the importance of academics over the legacy of his rap career.  He’s not even interested in pursuing a professional music career.  “That would be cool, but definitely the school stuff over anything else.  Music is fun and all, but I feel like academics are more important most of the time.” As a leader of the Politics Club, Spitz also manages to be involved with the community by encouraging diverse thought outside the box of MA’s liberal norm.

“I want to be remembered [at MA] for a lot of things.  I definitely want people to remember the impact I at least tried to make on the social community here, especially in regards to the talks about politics.”

Samuel Spitz’s musical ability is far beyond what one may think at first glance.  From his valiancy on the microphone, to his Bay Area influenced production style, to his fearlessness on stage playing guitar, Spitz will continue to drop jaws for years to come.  While he may plan to focus on a more academic field rather than a musical one, one thing is certain:  wherever he lands, he won’t give up “until Sammy Spitz is a household name.”